Monday, January 12, 2009

How is Texas Different?

Well I've been down here 2 weeks now, and here are a few little quirks I've noticed about how Texas differs from Indiana. First of all, people here must really love donuts, because there are donut shops on every street! Yet the obesity rate is probably lower than Indiana. I guess everyone is just more active, because the weather is more conducive to outdoor sports year-round. While we're talking food, there is a fast food restaurant here called Whataburger, which is bigger than McDonald's in these parts. And of course little Mexican restaurants everywhere, but that was to be expected.

So what is it like to drive around down here you ask? Well I'll tell ya. People either seem to fly, or putt. Not really much in between. And if you get stopped at a red light, you might as well get out and wax your car, because that light ain't changing for a while! There is no such thing as yield on green for left hand turns either, you gotta wait for that damn arrow! But don't think about running that red light, because they have cameras on most intersections that will take a picture of your license plate and mail you a ticket! But wait, there's a catch! It takes a picture of your front license plate, which as you are well aware, we do not have in Indiana! So looks like I can get away with running as many red lights as I please! :)

Those are just a few things I've picked up on. I'm sure I'll notice more the longer I'm here!

No comments: