Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The First Week

Ok, so now that I have some time, I will tell you all about some of the things I have done in my first week down here in Texas!

Starting with business...
I've knocked on a lot of doors! Yet, I've only been on one roof to this point! To make a long story short, there is a lot of competition down here. Everywhere I turn I see a contractors truck. Pretty much everyone that I have talked to has already had on average 3 contractors out to their house, and they already have a check from insurance. However, today things started looking up right from the beginning, as I woke up to a phone call from a homeowner who got the flyer I left on their front door. Also got a lead from the office, and both of those are appointments for later this week!

And on to the fun...
There is a lot to do down here! We have been to the beach a few times down in Galveston. There is still a lot of damage down there, but with some restoration Galveston would be a really neat place. The houses along the main street are huge, old Victorian houses, and they are beautiful, even with some of them being in poor shape. It's a neat area, and you can even drive out on the beach!

But the coolest place we have been to so far is the Kemah (pronounced key-muh) Boardwalk. We ate at a restaurant called Landry's there which has a theater looking sign on the outside that said "Nice Try Ike" and then when we got to our table on the wall was a little measuring stick showing where the water line was for various hurricanes. Well Ike was just under the ceiling! In just a few months they had completely gutted and remodeled that whole place! That's pretty crazy! Another night we went to a place called The Burger House where they have a 1 lb burger called "The Heart Attack" as well as a 1.5 pound burger they call "Triple Bypass". Well Andy & Steph had been there a few days earlier, and Andy couldn't quite finish the 1 lb burger, so I decided I would take on the challenge. Psh, no problem at all for me! Next time I'll go for the 1.5 pounder! Along the boardwalk is a lot more to do, including a lot of little shops, restaurants, rides, and a great view of the bay. Steph and I rode the rollercoaster known as the "Boardwalk Bullet" which was actually a pretty good ride! Andy was too scared to ride a rollercoaster that had been through a hurricane, haha! Actually good logic, but obviously they have inspected and tested it before opening it back up. So anyway, also on Kemah Boardwalk was this guy doing juggling and other crazy tricks with fire and the whole nine yards. Some pretty crazy stuff he did, like balancing a burning chair on his chin while spinning rings around his arms! But yeah, that was a fun evening!

Well that's all I can think of for now, but I'll be back soon for some updates!

No comments: